Destination Weddings in Durban – South Africa
17 April, 2015
By Runaway Romance
Durban or Durb’s is a not so sleepy town on the east coast South Africa. Home to one of the busiest ports in Africa, Durban is guaranteed to give you a true taste of South African culture. From its traditional Zulu villages, Indian spice markets and inner city farm stalls, all the way to the Bushmen art in the Drakensburg mountain ranges.
I have listed some of the area’s best assets and some points to ponder to help ignite your wild Africa romance.
Durban’s Best Assets
* Pure venue diversity. In Durban you are only an hour’s drive away from a tropical beach, a forest, a mountain range or the cool misty farmlands of the Midlands. The Midlands is one of the most popular wedding areas in Durban with plenty wedding venues, mostly on sprawling private estates and farms.
* Inspired by the 2010 world cup, Durban transformed their beachfront into a brilliant promenade or ‘Golden Mile’ that is a delight for tourists and locals alike. Rent a bicycle and make a day of it or head down there for some fun wedding shots at the Fun Fair or on a local rickshaw.
* Durban is home to the largest Indian population outside of India. This means the best of South Africa mixed with the best of India to give you a culinary feast of dishes found nowhere else in the world. This beautiful Asian influence mixes with traditional African and colonial styles to influence the food, religion and architecture of Durban in a very special way.
* Durban has the most tropical climate in the country due to its warmer Indian ocean and has an average of 320 days of sunshine a year. Come ready for some humidity.
* Durban and its surrounds are home to two of South Africa’s UNESCO world heritage sites. The iSimangaliso (Formerly Greater St Lucia) Wetland Park and uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park.
Points To Ponder When Planning a Destination Wedding in Durban
* Durban and its surrounds are a bit more spread out so if you do plan on ‘seeing it all’ a comfy hired car and a GPS are a good idea.
* Durban is a very popular holiday spot for locals, so double check availability and pricing of venues over the Christmas and Easter holidays.
About the Author
Runaway Romance is an alternative to the hype, cost and pressure of typical wedding ‘productions’. As a boutique wedding planning service based in South Africa, Rebecca and her team focus on creating unique romantic memories in the form of elopements, small weddings, proposals, engagements and anniversaries. Runaway Romance’s services range from basic concept design and initial planning, through to full service coordination including pre-wedding travel, vendor selection, event styling & design and day-of coordination. Rebecca encourages travel and adventure and recognizes that every celebration is different, so get in touch to discuss your ideas and let Runaway Romance craft your very own romantic South African experience.
All Images By: Niki M Photography