Destination Weddings in Johannesburg – South Africa
15 April, 2015
By Runaway Romance
Known to locals as the City of Gold, Joburg or Jozi, Johannesburg historically gets its name for its mining activities. Even today the ‘City of Gold’ is known as the economic power house of South Africa. Its inner city revival, like the Maboneng precinct and expansive green spaces, like Muldersdrift give you the feeling of nature with the modern excitement of the city.
I have listed some of the area’s best assets and some points to ponder to help ignite your wild Africa romance.
Johannesburg’s Best Assets
* Cool inner city venues, bars and restaurants are only kilometres away from small farms and country wedding venues.
* A bit like the New York of Africa, Johannesburg is always awake, always moving and always able to respond to your needs quickly. Where other towns may be relaxed and laid back Joburg is there to get things done.
* Late spring (October – November) is the time of Jacarandas. This beautiful flower turns the grey city into a carpet of purple and is quite a special sight.
* There are many old houses with immaculate private gardens. If a small wedding in a home away from home is something you have always wanted, Joburg is probably your city.
* December to January has the city’s most rainfall in the form of electric late afternoon thunderstorms. They leave as quickly as they arrive but could give you a dramatic photo back drop.
* The main international airport is based in Johannesburg so travel from here will be easier and slightly cheaper than connecting to the other cities.
Points To Ponder When Planning a Destination Wedding in Johannesburg
* Traffic is a big factor in this city and you will need to plan your weddings start time / travel around peak traffic times. Your coordinator or venue can help you with this.
* Winter in Johannesburg runs between June – August and can be a muggy, slightly dusty affair. So if you are coming to the city for far stretching views this may not be the best time.
About the Author
Runaway Romance is an alternative to the hype, cost and pressure of typical wedding ‘productions’. As a boutique wedding planning service based in South Africa, Rebecca and her team focus on creating unique romantic memories in the form of elopements, small weddings, proposals, engagements and anniversaries. Runaway Romance’s services range from basic concept design and initial planning, through to full service coordination including pre-wedding travel, vendor selection, event styling & design and day-of coordination. Rebecca encourages travel and adventure and recognizes that every celebration is different, so get in touch to discuss your ideas and let Runaway Romance craft your very own romantic South African experience.
All Images By: Niki M Photography